Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why 26?

Growing up in the Indian culture, it was instilled in my mind that a good age for girls to get married is between 24 to 26.  For guys, they can get married after 25.  I always found it odd, when there were girls that weren't married by 26, and how everyone in the Indian community would view them as if something was wrong with them.  They would feel sorry for them and say how hard it will be for them to find a man.  My question is, why 26?  Why is 26 the perfect age to get married?  Is a woman's value worth less after 26?

I always heard this timeline from so many aunties, "Get married at 26, have a baby in 2 years, and then have another one later on."  Why should life be so predictable?  Sometimes, I enjoy not knowing the unknown.  I think everyone should get married when they are ready, not because their time clock is ticking away, but because they found the one that they want to spend the rest of their life with.

Life is about taking risks and making choices for yourself.  My parents were so afraid to let me go into the real world, because it is rough out there.  They want me to be safe and do what is expected.  But, I think they forgot about one of the biggest risks they made, coming to America.  It wasn't an easy ride for them over here in America with adjusting to different lifestyles, the long hours at work, taking care of their family, etc.  Sometimes, my parents forget this huge risk that they encountered many years ago coming to America.  But, at this point in my life, this is the only chance I have to take some risks and live life to its fullest.

Throughout our lives, we are told by many (parents, siblings, friends, etc) about how we should live our life.  What we should really do, is listen to ourselves, listen to what our hearts are pleading for us to do.  We all have choices, some will want to get married by 26 and some will not want to.  Just know, that there is nothing wrong with making that choice, just as long as it is YOU who is making that choice.  "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make."

To all my beautiful Indian women, remember, your age doesn't measure your worth, because your worth is invaluable.

~La Feminista

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to write any feedback that you might have. I am very interested in your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete