Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is it fair to be fair?

The obsession of having fair skin in the Indian community boggles my mind.  In India, you see the "Fair and Lovely" commercials where they promote a cream that should make your skin appear lighter within days or weeks.  All the Bollywood actresses are the fairest as they can be.  Have you ever seen an actress with a brown complexion in any of those movies?  In the matrimonial section of the Indian newspapers, girls (and guys) describe their complexion as "wheatish," "fair," "light," etc.  I don't remember reading any ads commenting the girls (or guys) on their brown, sultry complexion, have you?  How come having a fair complexion is better than having a darker complexion?  How is that "fair "?  


Until I was four years old, I was pretty fair skinned.  Afterwards, my complexion got more brownish, probably from being out in the sun while playing or I was just meant to have a darker complexion.  When I was older, I remember asking my dad why my complexion changed so fast after I turned four.  His response, "That's when you started to take your own baths."  Of course, that was a joke that he would say, but, when I really think about it, why is being brown not as satisfactory as being fair? 


You know the saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it."  Well, for Indians, I think it's the opposite, "If you don't have something nice to say, SAY IT!"  One thing that utterly bothers me are the comments I hear from family members and even from aunties and uncles who I barely know.  They would say, "too bad she's not as fair as her brother and mother" (both who are light skinned).  Really, who was asking you and why do you even care?  How come my brown skin is not appealing to you?  Most of the time, these uncles and aunties are the same complexion or darker than me, so I don't know why they pick on those who are not fair skinned, when they're not fair skinned to begin with.  


To all my feministas, don't be just comfortable, but, be confident within your own skin.  Beauty should not be limited to a person's complexion.  Who cares if you're fair, white, yellow, tan, brown, black, etc.  People should never judge someone for their looks or say that a person would look better if this or that was different.  What should really matter is what's inside.  That is what real beauty is all about.  "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched ... but are felt in the heart." -Helen Keller


~La Feminista


P.S.  Below, is a website where you can find more quotes on inner beauty.  Check it out.  
http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/2010/07/Quotes-that-Celebrate-Inner-Beauty.aspx
                     

3 comments:

  1. This is echoed within the African American community (oh you're too black)
    I feel as long as your skin looks well taken care of and relatively blemish free, you're gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!! I agree completely! I feel like a lot of communities from around the world have the same views on complexion. It has to STOP!

    ReplyDelete